Friday, June 21, 2013

Invisalign

I began my Invisalign treatment this week. Oh boy!

So my teeth, cosmetically, aren't that bad. But I don't like them. I had braces as a teen and over the years they have changed. I am about to click over to 35 and I feel my teeth age me most of all. And maybe my weight (I'm still a BMI of around 23. So healthy but not lean but I think I look reasonably fit and healthy). My bite is quite narrow, I have an over-bite, some lower crowding, an uppers gap, and my bite at the back is off and feels uncomfortable. Anyway, it's pretty much nay going to get worse so I decided to fix it now and not wait until I've finished med school (the original plan, for everything, is to defer all major expenses until this time).

It's taken a few months to get my first tray due to needing to get an intial consultation, seeing my dentist for a check up, getting the moods done, and then finally getting my "buttons" (small attachements points for certain teeth) and then first tray fitted.

Oh my word - the pain. They say the first few days of each new tray is painful as that's when the most amount of pressure is exerted. I've had to take pain killers and eat soft food.

The other thing is, with Invisalign, you're supposed to only taken them out for a total of an hour a day to eat, and you must brush and floss before replacing them. They're also a bit difficult to take out. All this combined means I'm only eating my 3 square meals a day. No more snacking, you're not allowed anything but cool water while wearing them. So, I'm thinking, will I lose weight? Firstly, I love to snack. And it's from hand to mouth without stopping to consider. My main meals are usually pretty good. Fruit from breakfast and lunch and a low fat cooked vegan meal for dinner (think steamed veges and rice with a tomato-based sauce) or a leafy green salad. Secondly, because of snacking my main meals aren't always that big. But the last few days with Invisalign they have been. This is what Doug Graham recommends in 80/10/10.

I'd love to get leaner for taekwondo competitions in the next few months.

Also, Invisalign makes your mouth dry and causes some pain to the tongue and gums due to sharp edges. This makes fruit smoothies and mashed veges very appealing. I'll see how I go next week when my teeth adjusts.

My boyfriend likes them. He says they make my lips more pouty. My friend at work though I'd had a lip-job done lol. You really can't see them more any more than half a meter away (normal personal space)' although I do have a slight annoying lisp atm.

I thought sleeping with them in would freak me out due to the choking hazard, but they are well and truly stuck onto my teeth due to the buttons. They take a fair bit of effort to get them out. Hence, no snacking, I don't mind brushing but I hate taking them out.

I found warm water from the shower/bath helps sooth the pain and actually I will take them out and brush them in the shower from now on as its more comfortable on my teeth. I've used some bi-carb soda to clean them (they discolour easily) but I've heard that soaking them in white vinegar works well, so ill try that when I get some vinegar!


No comments:

Post a Comment